It’s spring here in the southern hemisphere, and I’m getting in the mood for summer salads! Here’s one of my favorite new recipes. I hope you enjoy it as much I do!
- 1 cup uncooked orzo*
- 1 navel orange
- 2 cups (handfuls) salad greens – use anything you like! I prefer a mix of arugula/roquette, red lettuce, romaine/cos, etc.
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 witloof (Belgian endive)
- 1 handful sugar snap peas
- 2 tsp chia seeds
Boil orzo in water until al dente. Rinse with cool water, drain, transfer to a large dish, and place in freezer for 5-7 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes or so until orzo is cool to taste. Cover and place in the fridge, while you make the salad.
Peel and slice the orange into small cubes. Place in separate large serving dish/bowl.
Add chopped salad greens, mung beans sprouts, and sugar snap peas.
Add sliced witloof. Top with chia seeds.
- 1 navel orange
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 splash avocado oil infused with lime – or any other citrus-y/fruity oil you like.
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper.
- Optional – 1 dollop of dijon mustard to make it spicier.
In a small bowl add, salt, pepper, EVOO, and avocado oil.
Add 1 1/2 tsp orange zest.
Slice orange in half, then add juice from both pieces.
Whisk until well blended.
To finish it off:
Pour cooled orzo onto prepared salad.
Top with salad dressing.
Stir until well blended.
*Orzo can be replaced by millet, brown rice, cous cous, or any other grain you like or prefer to use depending on your dietary needs.
**I use as many organic ingredients as I can to make this a super healthy meal.
This recipe was featured on MindBodyGreen.